Lately I've thought a lot about my Mother, Stepmother, and Mother-in-Law. Then my thoughts started turning towards my husband's Grandmother and my own Grandmothers. I've decided to compose a list of things I've learned from my (and my husband's) Grandmothers.
If any of my brothers read this, feel free to add to my list. If you learned something phenomenal from your own Grandmother, share it with me and my small reading list. We could always use some good reminiscing I think. So, without further delay:
Things I Learned From Grandma (and some of which I've subsequently taught my children)
1. a Davenport is a couch, not a staunch snob's last name
2. grapefruit is a yummy breakfast food with sugar sprinkled on top and Grandma's cute little grapefruit spoons to eat it with
3. ice cream is best eaten after it has been stirred
4. how to make an omelet
5. breakfast juice is best served in a fluted looking beer glass (I seriously bought some just like she had!)
6. no matter the age, she'll let you drive her car to help her run her errands
7. swear words truly can be funny and no Grandpa, the devil didn't make you do it
8. cheating at the game 31 is a way of life when one of your red-headed grandsons lets you cheat (oddly enough it took her a while to realize that too)
9. Popsicles are not as delicious at home as they are out of Grandma and Grandpa's freezer
10. remote control cars have a turbo boost
11. the water irrigation time can be thrilling even though watering the grass that way seems weird
12. apricot cobbler (I'm not a fan of the fruit) can taste great, just add more whipped topping like she does
13. dominoes can be child's play
14. no, there really aren't any monsters in the basement even though it seems dark
15. CATS! Need a say more?
16. the Utah Jazz really are a good team no matter how they're losing or winning (Okay I learned how to be more of a sports fan, not necessarily of the Jazz)
17. the definition of a fark (i.e. fOrk)
18. never threaten Cory with a whooping, he'll just bend over and take it
19. Sacrament meeting is always made better with mint Lifesavers out of Grandma's purse
20. Grandpas are for teasing
21. how to be thrifty and check the reduced for quick sale cart
22. my husband's nickname is peanut because he's short
23. sometimes it helps to grunt
24. when in doubt, or rejected by Mom and Dad, Grandma has magic mind powers to change their minds--Go ask Grandma!
25. NOTHING beats a hug from Grandma, no matter how big the hurt, the loss, or the frustrations. They are magic and make all problems seem to melt away with each squeeze.
No comments:
Post a Comment